Gita Press Gorakhpur is a renowned publishing house based in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is known for its significant contribution to the publication and dissemination of Hindu religious scriptures and literature. Gita Press was established in 1923 by Jayadayal Goyandka, a prominent philanthropist and spiritual leader, with the aim of promoting and preserving Indian culture and spiritual knowledge.
Gita Press specializes in publishing religious texts, scriptures, and commentaries, primarily focusing on Hinduism. It has published numerous sacred texts, including the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, and various other religious and philosophical works. The publications by Gita Press are known for their accuracy, authenticity, and high-quality printing.
Over the years, Gita Press has gained immense popularity and become a trusted religious literature source among millions of people in India and abroad. Its publications are available in multiple languages, including Hindi, English, Sanskrit, and regional languages, catering to a wide readership.
Gita Press is not only involved in publishing books but also actively participates in various philanthropic and social activities. The organization has played a significant role in preserving and promoting Hindu traditions, culture, and values.
Gita Press: Preserving Spiritual Wisdom Through Sacred Literature
Gita Press: Safeguarding the Esoteric Enlightenment of Humanity through the Endurance of Sacred Texts. Gita Press Gorakhpur, an eminent publishing establishment established in 1923 under the visionary leadership of Jayadayal Goyandka, has emerged as a bastion of the preservation and propagation of Hindu religious scriptures and literature. Rooted in a steadfast commitment to safeguarding India’s cultural heritage and spiritual knowledge, Gita Press has become an unparalleled source of profoundly sacred texts, catering to the spiritual aspirations of millions of avid readers across the globe.
- Promoting Hindu Scriptures: Gita Press undertakes an exceptional endeavour to promulgate and publish an extensive array of Hindu scriptures, encompassing the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, and an assortment of other sacred texts. The profound dedication and meticulousness with which these revered texts are rendered exemplify Gita Press’s unwavering pursuit of accuracy, authenticity, and preservation of the innate essence of these invaluable spiritual treasures.
- Unmatched Publication Standards: Gita Press has established an indomitable reputation for its unwavering commitment to the highest standards of printing and production quality. Adhering to unparalleled precision, the publications emanating from Gita Press showcase impeccable typographical precision, aesthetically pleasing design elements, and durable binding, ensuring that these spiritual masterpieces retain their inherent sanctity, withstand the test of time, and remain accessible for future generations to cherish.
- Multilingual Offerings: Acknowledging the linguistic diversity permeating the Indian subcontinent, Gita Press undertakes the noble task of presenting its publications in various languages. Readers hailing from diverse backgrounds can immerse themselves in the profound spiritual wisdom encapsulated within Hinduism through the prism of publications available in Hindi, English, Sanskrit, and a multitude of regional languages. This inclusive approach endeavours to bridge the linguistic divide and extend the reach of these sacred texts to a broader spectrum of readers, fostering a deeper connection with the spiritual teachings therein.
- Holistic Spiritual Literature: Beyond the corpus of core religious texts, Gita Press meticulously curates a vast repository of commentaries, philosophical treatises, and literary works that delve into various dimensions of spirituality. These exceptional publications offer valuable insights, interpretations, and guidance to earnest spiritual seekers, propelling their personal growth, expanding their intellectual horizons, and nurturing their profound understanding of Hinduism’s multifaceted philosophical and spiritual tapestry.
- Philanthropic Endeavors: Gita Press transcends the conventional role of a publishing house, actively engaging in philanthropic endeavours that extend beyond the realm of books. Their commitment to preserving and promoting Hindu traditions and culture permeates various facets of social upliftment and community development. Initiatives encompassing educational support, empowerment of marginalized sections, and the propagation of spiritual values exemplify Gita Press’s holistic and socially responsible approach.
- Inspiring Devotion: The publications emanating from Gita Press reverberate with an ineffable power to ignite and nourish the flame of devotion within the hearts of millions of avid readers across the globe. By accessing these spiritual reservoirs, individuals are guided on profound spiritual journeys, discovering the inner realms of divine connection, and deepening their understanding of the profound teachings encapsulated within Hinduism’s vast spiritual spectrum.
Gita Press Gorakhpur stands tall as an unparalleled vanguard in the realm of sacred literature, resolutely safeguarding and disseminating the timeless spiritual wisdom enshrined within Hinduism. Through its unwavering dedication to accuracy, authenticity, and exceptional printing standards, Gita Press continues to enrich the lives of readers, serving as an illuminating beacon, nurturing their spiritual growth, and forging an enduring connection with the ethereal realms of ancient wisdom. Embark on an extraordinary odyssey into the depths of Hindu spirituality with Gita Press and embrace the transformative power embedded within these sacred texts, as they illuminate the path toward profound self-realization and universal enlightenment.
Gita Press: Preserving Hindu Spiritual Heritage
Gita Press stands as a stalwart in the preservation of Hindu spiritual heritage, diligently safeguarding the essence and wisdom encapsulated within the sacred texts of the religion. With an unwavering commitment to upholding and disseminating the profound teachings of Hinduism, Gita Press has emerged as a beacon of knowledge, ensuring that the spiritual heritage of India remains accessible for generations to come.
As a publishing house dedicated to the preservation and propagation of Hindu religious scriptures and literature, Gita Press has played a pivotal role in preserving the ancient wisdom contained within these sacred texts. The organization recognizes the significance of these scriptures as the foundation of Hindu spiritual heritage, encompassing profound philosophical teachings, moral codes, and spiritual practices that guide individuals on the path to self-realization and enlightenment.
Gita Press has made it their mission to carefully curate, publish, and distribute these sacred texts, ensuring their accuracy, authenticity, and accessibility. From the Bhagavad Gita, the timeless dialogue between Lord Krishna and Arjuna, to the Ramayana, the epic saga of Lord Rama’s journey, Gita Press offers a diverse range of publications that bring the richness of Hindu spirituality to readers around the world.
One of the notable aspects of Gita Press’s endeavours is its commitment to multilingual offerings. Recognizing the linguistic diversity of India and the global Hindu diaspora, Gita Press publishes these sacred texts in various languages, including Hindi, English, Sanskrit, and regional languages. This inclusive approach allows individuals from diverse backgrounds to access and engage with the spiritual heritage of Hinduism in a language that resonates with them, fostering a deeper connection and understanding.
Gita Press’s efforts extend beyond the preservation of sacred texts alone. The organization actively engages in philanthropic initiatives that support educational institutions, provide scholarships, and promote cultural conservation. By nurturing education and cultural values, Gita Press contributes to the conservation and development of the broader Hindu spiritual heritage.
Through their unwavering dedication to printing excellence, Gita Press ensures that the sanctity of these sacred texts is preserved in the physical form as well. Meticulous attention to detail, high-quality production standards, and aesthetically pleasing designs are employed to create publications that honour the spiritual significance of the content they hold.
Gita Press’s role in preserving Hindu spiritual heritage cannot be overstated. Through their publications, they provide individuals with a gateway to the profound teachings and philosophies of Hinduism, guiding them on a spiritual journey of self-discovery, self-realization, and deeper connection with the divine. By preserving and propagating this spiritual heritage, Gita Press continues to inspire, enlighten, and empower countless individuals in their pursuit of spiritual growth and understanding.
Who is the owner of Gita Press?
Gita Press Gorakhpur is owned by Gita Bhawan Trust, a non-profit organization established by the founder of Gita Press, Jayadayal Goyandka. The trust oversees the operations and management of Gita Press, ensuring the continuation of its mission to preserve and propagate Hindu spiritual literature.
History of Gita Press Gorakhpur
Bengal’s Marwari businessman Jayadayal Goyandka started Gita Press: Jaydayan Goenka was a resident of Bankura, Bengal. Marwari by caste and businessman by work. He was associated with the business of cotton, kerosene, cloth, and utensils. He was recognized as an honest businessman from Bihar to Jharkhand. Jaidayal used to go to these cities in connection with his work and after the work was over, he used to organize satsangs by forming congregations. There they read and discuss the Gita.
There was so much crowd for Satsang in Kolkata that Jaidayal’s house started getting small. Then the whole group together rented a place in 1922 on Banstalla Road in Kolkata itself. Named it Govind Bhavan.
Govind Bhavan itself became Jaydayal’s home. He started living there. Slowly his fascination with work began to end and the other end of the fascination started to join in forming a group to discuss the Gita. He himself had mastered the interpretation of the Gita.
Gita Press’s Printing Excellence: Preserving the Sanctity of Sacred Literature
Printing of books started with Rs 600 printing machine, Jayadayal Goyandka ji realized that the correct translation of the Gita was not in the market. Jaidayal kept this point in the Satsang. Gorakhpur’s businessmen Ghanshyam Das Jalan and Hanuman Prasad Poddar were present in the satsang.
Ghanshyam Das said that if there is a press in Gorakhpur, I will take care of it. After this, the press was started in 1923 by taking a room on rent of 10 rupees a month in the Urdu market. A hand press was purchased for Rs.600.
After 3 years, in 1926, a house behind Sahibganj was bought for 10 thousand rupees. Even today it is the headquarters of Gita Press. Today this place is spread over 2 lakh square feet. The press occupies 1.45 lakh square feet of the campus and houses and shops occupy the rest.
Kalyan Magazine made Gita Press the centre of discussion
In 1926, the All India Marwari Agarwal Mahasabha was held in Delhi. Big people from the community gathered at the meeting. People like industrialists Ghanshyam Das Birla and Jamnalal Bajaj were present in this. Both of them were influenced by the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in those days. Discussion started in the meeting about the evils of the Hindu religion. Arguments started being given in favour and against. While Jamnalal Bajaj talked about ending child marriage and the purdah system, his secretary Khemka insisted on preserving the traditions of Hindus. A few days later it came to light that Khemka’s speech was written by Hanuman Prasad Poddar. Poddar started bringing out a welfare magazine on the issues discussed in the meeting. In this way, since 1926, this magazine is published now.
Mahatma Gandhi’s suggestion: Gita Press works as a trust. Its goal is not to make profits. Religious books have to be made available to people at a low cost. The price of the first book printed in Gita Press was one rupee. In the year 1926, Gita Press decided to bring out a monthly magazine named ‘Kalyan’. Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi also wrote his article in the magazine. Gandhiji had also given two suggestions to Gita Press in 1927. He said that no advertisement should be printed in the magazine and no book should be reviewed. Lalmani Tiwari, manager of Gita Press, says that the press has not violated Gandhiji’s suggestions for 90 years. Today Gita Press has become synonymous with Gorakhpur.
How does Gita Press earn money?
Gita Press Gorakhpur primarily earns revenue through the sales of its publications. As a publishing house, Gita Press produces and distributes a wide range of sacred texts, commentaries, philosophical works, and other literature related to Hinduism. These publications are made available to the public for purchase.
Gita Press has a vast catalogue of books catering to individuals from diverse backgrounds’ spiritual needs and interests. Its publications are widely recognized for their accuracy, authenticity, and high-quality production standards. The reputation of Gita Press, built over decades of dedicated work, has attracted a large customer base, including individuals, temples, spiritual organizations, and educational institutions.
The sales revenue generated from the sale of these publications enables Gita Press to sustain its operations, cover production costs, and continue its mission of preserving and propagating Hindu spiritual heritage. The organization strives to strike a balance between making sacred texts affordable and accessible while ensuring that it can sustain its activities and maintain the quality of its publications.
Additionally, Gita Press receives support from donations and contributions made by individuals and philanthropic organizations. These financial contributions further supplement the revenue earned from book sales and help Gita Press fund various initiatives, including educational programs, cultural preservation efforts, and philanthropic endeavours.
It is important to note that Gita Press operates as a non-profit organization. Its goal is not to make profits. Religious books have to be made available to people at a low cost. The revenue generated through book sales and donations is primarily utilized for the organization’s activities, maintaining its infrastructure, and supporting its mission rather than for profit-making purposes. The primary focus of Gita Press is to serve the spiritual needs of individuals and promote Hindu spiritual literature rather than maximizing financial gains.
World’s largest publisher of Hindu religious texts
Gita Press is the world’s largest publishing house of Hindu religious texts. It has printed 41.7 crore books so far. There are 16.21 crore books of Bhagwat Gita in it. 11.73 crore Ramcharit Manas of Tulsi Das. There are 2.58 crore Puranas and Upanishads.
According to the website, the aim of the organization is to propagate the values of Sanatan Dharma to the common people. Gita Press has recently been announced to be given the ‘Gandhi Peace Prize’ for 2021.
The starting price of a book printed by Gita Press is Rs.2. The rest of the press’s books are also cheaper than other publications. In such a situation, the question arises how is this possible? So the answer is raw material.
Gita Press directly buys the raw material for printing the book. This saves huge expenses like infrastructure and the rent involved in bringing it. Apart from this, Gita Press sells clothes and medicines through Gita Vastra Vibhag and Gita Ayurveda Vibhag.
Apart from Hindi and Sanskrit, Gita Press publishes books and literature related to Hinduism in 13 other languages. Apart from Gita and Manas, more than 900 million copies of more than 2000 books have been printed. Only 12 crore copies of more than 100 types of Gita have been printed. Apart from this, 16.57 crore welfare magazines were printed. Although this press has seen ups and downs at times. Many times it came to the point of being closed. The Press was suffering losses due to providing pure and cheap religious books to the people.
Interesting Facts About Gita Press Gorakhpur
- Gita Press is one of the oldest and most renowned publishers of Hindu religious texts in India. It was established in 1923 in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, by Jaydayal Goyandka and Hanuman Prasad Poddar.
- The primary objective of Gita Press is to promote and propagate the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, and other Hindu scriptures. It is dedicated to preserving and disseminating the knowledge contained in these ancient texts.
- Gita Press is known for its strict adherence to traditional and authentic Hindu scriptures. The organization follows a meticulous editorial process to ensure accuracy and fidelity to the original texts. Its publications are considered reliable and highly regarded among devotees and scholars.
- One of the flagship publications of Gita Press is the “Gita Press Gorakhpur” edition of the Bhagavad Gita. This edition of the sacred scripture contains the original Sanskrit verses, followed by a Hindi translation and a commentary that explains the verses in detail. It has gained immense popularity and is widely read by people of all backgrounds.
- The publications of Gita Press are available in multiple languages, including Hindi, English, Sanskrit, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, and others. This wide range of translations allows a diverse audience to access and understand the wisdom of the scriptures.
- Gita Press has played a significant role in promoting moral and ethical values in society. Along with religious texts, it has also published books on topics such as character-building, moral education, and spirituality. These publications aim to instil virtues and promote a righteous way of living.
- Over the years, Gita Press has expanded its range of publications to include various genres, such as biographies of saints, stories from Hindu mythology, and philosophical works. It has also ventured into the publication of magazines like Kalyan, Kalyana-Kalpataru, and Kalyana-Kalpadruma, which disseminate spiritual knowledge and provide guidance for leading a balanced life.
- Gita Press has a substantial presence in the city of Gorakhpur, where its headquarters and main printing press are located. The organization operates a large bookshop in Gorakhpur, which attracts devotees and spiritual seekers from different parts of India.
- Apart from publishing books, Gita Press is actively involved in philanthropic activities. It runs schools, hospitals, and orphanages to serve the local community and support educational and healthcare initiatives.
- Gita Press has made a significant impact on the lives of millions of people through its publications. It has contributed to the revival and preservation of Hindu religious literature, and its books have been instrumental in spreading the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita and other sacred texts to a wide audience.
Frequently asked questions about Gita Press
These are just a few commonly asked questions about Gita Press. If you have any specific queries or need further information, feel free to ask! Certainly! Here are some frequently asked questions about the Gita Press along with their answers :
What is Gita Press?
Gita Press is a publishing organization based in Gorakhpur, India. It was established in 1923 with the primary aim of publishing Hindu religious texts, especially the Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures.
What is the significance of Gita Press?
Gita Press is renowned for its contribution to the preservation and propagation of Hindu religious literature. It has played a crucial role in making sacred texts accessible to the masses, promoting religious education, and fostering spiritual values.
What are some of the key publications by Gita Press?
Gita Press has published a wide range of books on Hindu philosophy, scriptures, and mythology. Some notable publications include the Bhagavad Gita, Ramcharitmanas (by Tulsidas), Upanishads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, and various Puranas.
How has Gita Press influenced Hinduism?
Gita Press has significantly influenced Hinduism by disseminating authentic scriptural knowledge and fostering devotion among people. Its publications have helped in the preservation and propagation of Hindu religious texts, thereby strengthening the spiritual fabric of society.
Can anyone visit Gita Press in Gorakhpur?
Yes, Gita Press is open to visitors. It has a large complex in Gorakhpur that includes a temple, a bookstore, and a printing press. Devotees and visitors can explore the premises, attend prayers, purchase books, and engage in spiritual activities.
Does Gita Press publish books in languages other than Hindi?
While the majority of Gita Press publications are in Hindi, they also publish books in several other languages, including English, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, and Kannada. This enables a wider readership to access the teachings of Hindu scriptures.
Does Gita Press offer online sales or e-books?
Yes, Gita Press has adapted to the digital age and offers online sales through its official website. They have also started providing e-books, allowing readers to access their publications in electronic formats.
Where is Gita Press located?
Gita Press is located in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
When was Gita Press established?
Gita Press was established in 1923.
Who is the owner of Gita Press?
Gita Press does not have a single owner as it is run by a trust named “Gita Press Gorakhpur.” The trust is managed by a board of trustees who oversee the operations and activities of Gita Press. The primary objective of the trust is to promote and propagate the teachings of Hinduism through the publication and distribution of religious texts and scriptures.
Gita Press Gorakhpur has etched its name as an esteemed institution dedicated to preserving and propagating Hindu spiritual wisdom through its unparalleled publications. With a legacy spanning nearly a century, Gita Press has played a pivotal role in safeguarding the sacred texts, commentaries, and philosophical works that form the bedrock of Hindu spiritual heritage.
The organization’s unwavering commitment to accuracy, authenticity, and high-quality printing standards has earned it the trust and reverence of millions of readers worldwide. Gita Press’s multilingual offerings bridge linguistic barriers, making the spiritual teachings accessible to diverse audiences and nurturing a deeper connection with Hinduism’s profound wisdom.
Beyond publishing, Gita Press embraces philanthropy and social initiatives, supporting education, cultural preservation, and the propagation of spiritual values. By actively engaging in these endeavors, Gita Press demonstrates its holistic commitment to nurturing not only the intellectual but also the social and cultural dimensions of Hindu spiritual heritage.
Through Gita Press’s publications, individuals are inspired, enlightened, and guided on their spiritual journeys. The sacred texts and commentaries serve as a guiding light, fostering devotion, self-realization, and a profound connection with the divine.
Gita Press’s legacy continues to inspire generations, preserving the spiritual heritage of Hinduism and enriching the lives of countless individuals. With its unwavering dedication to the dissemination of sacred literature, Gita Press stands as a beacon of knowledge, guiding humanity toward a deeper understanding of the profound spiritual teachings embedded within Hinduism’s timeless wisdom.