Army Cantonment Area in Uttarakhand: Cantonments are the places of the Indian Army where a detachment of the army stays for a long time. These can also be called permanent military stations. At present, there is a total of 9 Cantonment Boards in the state of Uttarakhand which comes under the Central Command of the Indian Army. There are four categories of cantonments that depend on the size of the population living within a cantonment.
Despite the financial and land restrictions in the cantonments, especially their permissible use for residential and commercial activities, today they have green areas which help in maintaining the balance of the environment. The Cantonment Board has been constituted under the Cantonment Act 2006.
Army Cantonment Area in Uttarakhand
In pursuance of Entry 3 of the Union List (Schedule VII) of the Constitution of India, the urban self-government of cantonments and the residences therein are included in the subjects of the Union of India.
There are 62 Cantonments in the country which are notified under the Cantonments Act, 1924 (which has been superseded by the Cantonments Act, 2006). The number of army cantonment area in Uttarakhand is at present 9 and these cantonments are under the Indian Army Central Command.
Cantonment Area Functions and Duties
The overall work of municipal administration of the notified cantonments rests with the cantonment boards which are democratic bodies. The Station Commander of the Cantonment is the ex-officio Chairman of the Board and an officer of the Indian Defense Estates Service or Defense Estates Organization is the Chief Executive Officer who is also a member of the Board as Secretary to the Government Representation.
This unique structure of Cantonment Boards has been successfully designed keeping this in mind as the cantonment area is mainly for the residence and establishments of the military population. Cantonments are completely different from army stations. The Army Stations are solely for the use and accommodation of the Armed Forces and have been established under an executive order. Whereas cantonments are areas where both army and civil population exist.
There are four categories of cantonments that depend on the size of the population living within a cantonment. Despite financial and land restrictions in cantonments, especially for their permissible use for residential and commercial activities, today they have green areas which help in maintaining the balance of the environment, as well as provide better civic amenities to the residents there. does.
Major Army Cantonment Area in Uttarakhand
At present, the number of army cantonment area in Uttarakhand is 9. The main of which are as follows –
Almora is a Category IV Cantonment. It was established in 1815. Almora is an important city in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is also the headquarters of the Almora district.
Almora was founded by Raja Balo Kalyan Chand in 1568. There are descriptions of human settlements in the hills and surrounding areas from the time of Mahabharata (8th and 9th centuries BCE).
Almora was the capital of the Chand dynasty kings who ruled the state of Kumaon. Almora has had a special hand in the fight for independence and in the upliftment of education, art, and culture.
Almora city is famous for its historical heritage as well as natural beauty. On one side there are forts and temples in the city, while on the other side there are also British churches and picnic spots.
Apart from this, Almora is connected by road to the entire Kumaon region, so people traveling to remote hill stations also pass through Almora. Keeping in mind the convenience of tourists, nature-lovers, climbers, and climbers, Almora is the best city today. There are good hotels to stay in here.
Must Read: Shitlakhet hill station of Almora
Roorkee is a city and a municipal council in the state of Uttarakhand, India. It is also known as Roorkee Cantonment and it is one of the oldest cantonments areas in the country and has been the headquarters of the Bengal Engineering Group (Bengal Sappers) since 1853. The first mention of Roorkee is found in British inscriptions. Roorkee Cantonment is a category II Cantonment, established in 1853.
According to British records, in the 18th century, Roorkee used to be a village of kutcha houses, buildings built from the mud of the pond on the west bank of the Solani river, there was no pucca house or building here. The country’s oldest institute of technology is also located in Roorkee which is known as IIT Roorkee.
On 30 November 1814, Dehradun was transformed into a cantonment with the defeat of the Gorkhas at Khalunga Fort (Nalapani) by 15,000 soldiers under the leadership of the British General Gillespie. In 1815, the Sirmour Battalion (Second Gorkha Battalion) was formed after disbanding the Gorkha troops.
It is noteworthy that earlier the center of this Sirmaur was in Nahan, which was later shifted to Dehradun. Today there is a sub-area and Sainik Hospital and Cantonment Board.
This area is known as the “Uttaranchal Sub Area” after the establishment of Uttaranchal. Dehradun is a Category I Cantonment. This Cantonment Council Dehradun was established by the British Government in 1913. Dehradun Cantonment has a total area of 5203.35 acres, which includes 939.041 acres of the private civilian population.
Mussoorie Hill Station situated at a distance of 35 km from Dehradun was quite popular during the British Raj. Mussoorie is a wonderful hill station in Uttarakhand situated at an altitude of about 2005 meters above sea level. It is situated at the foothills of the Himalayas and is known as the Queen of Hills. It was established by the British Army in 1827. Here he built a sanatorium. This sanatorium is now with the Institute of Technology Management, an organization of DRDO.
- Established – 1872
- Location – Dehradun
Initially, the Landour Cantonment was built for the British Indian Army. From 1827, when a fortification was established in the area, the place was a recovery area for members of the army.
Therefore, the greater part of Landour was converted into a cantonment. In the early 20th century, a full-fledged British Military Hospital (BMH) was inaugurated and health workers were given specific training on tropical diseases. The health facility was closed soon after the country’s independence.
In 1825, the first stable structure in the entire Mussoorie-Landour was constructed at Landour. Captain Young built the mansion. He was the man who is considered the “founder” of Mussoorie and served as the commanding officer of the first Gurkha (or Gurkha) regiment, recruited by British officers after their victory in the Gurkha War.
Captain Young’s mansion is known as “Malingar” (indicative of his Irish ancestry). The first permanent building in all of Mussoorie-Landour was built at Landour in 1825 by Captain Frederick Young, the “discoverer” of Mussoorie, who was also the commandant of the first Gurkhas.
Also Read: Landour Hills All weather tourist spot
Chakrata Cantonment was established in 1869 by Colonel Hume of the British Army. Chakrata Cantonment Board is situated at a distance of 90 km from Dehradun. Chakrata is blessed with immense natural beauty. Situated in the tribal area “Jaunsar Bawar”, it is surrounded by Yamuna and Tons rivers on both sides from the tribal area. The region formed from a part of the princely state of the Raja of Sirmaur which was conquered by the Gorkhas, who were expelled by the British in 1854.
Apart from being the permanent residence of the Special Frontier Force, this cantonment is used for training Indian Security Agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) officers. Chakrata is known for its dense forests, greenery, and pleasant weather.
The Indian Army cantonment in Ranikhet, Uttarakhand is considered to be the most beautiful cantonment in India. Located in the district of Almora, Ranikhet is surrounded by mountains. It is the home of the Kumaon Regiment and the Naga Regiment. Its important city is looked after by the Indian Army.
Ranikhet, the queen of the Kumaon hills, is located at an altitude of 6000 feet above sea level, at a distance of 84 kilometers from its nearest railway station, Kathgodam, in the Almora district of Uttarakhand. Ranikhet Cantonment Authority was established in 1869 and its officer was known as Cantonment Magistrate and his office was known as Cantonment Court.
Ranikhet Cantonment came into existence in the year 1869. With the passage of time, the Cantonment has experienced great progress and development and to date, it is a Class II Cantonment. The Cantonment Board Ranikhet is making arrangements for civic amenities, including sanitation, water supply, roads and pathways, drains, parks, street lighting, schools, dispensaries, and libraries, etc., for the civilian population living within the cantonment.
Ranikhet Cantt Board has created many public utility projects like Rani Jheel, Ashiana Public Park, Veena Park, Major Sati Park, Community Hall, Himshila, Cantt Board Guest House, etc. Apart from the above, massive beautification work and improvement of parks have been done.
Lansdowne is a cantonment town in Pauri Garhwal district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. Lansdowne or Lansdown is a town and a hill station situated on the Kotdwar – Pauri road at a height of 1,780 m in Uttarakhand, India.
- Established – 5 May 1887
- Location – Pauri Garhwal
On May 5, 1887, under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel EP Mainwaring, the first battalion of the Garhwal Rifles was formed at Almora in the Kumaon region, consisting of six companies of Garhwali soldiers and two companies of Gorkha Rifles.
On 4 November 1887, this battalion reached Kalondanda in the Garhwal region and camped at Kalondanda. Time passed and the name of Kalondanda was changed to Lansdowne after the then Viceroy. In 1892, the Garhwal Rifles was officially recognized and Lansdowne became the headquarters of the Garhwal Rifles Regimental.
Lansdowne is named after the founder of Lansdowne and its English Viceroy Lord Lansdowne. It was established in 1887. It was built to train the soldiers of the Garhwal Rifles. Even today the command office of the Garhwal Rifles is present here. It has also been the site of activities of freedom fighters during the British Raj.
In the cleanliness survey conducted for the cleanliness ranking of 62 cantonments of the country, Cantonment Nagar Lansdowne has secured the fourth position. Lansdowne was ranked fourth among the best 5 cantonments of the country in the cleanliness survey 2020 conducted by the Directorate of Defense Estates, Delhi, Ministry of Defense, while Lansdowne stood at number one among the nine cantonments of Uttarakhand.
Also Read: Lansdowne A hill station of Garhwal
Clement town cantonment
Clement Town is a city in the Dehradun district in the state of Uttarakhand, India. It borders Rajaji National Park and is home to many famous institutions. A large Tibetan settlement and the world’s largest stupa, the Mindrolling Monastery, which was re-established from Tibet, is located in Clement Town, inaugurated on 28 October 2002, and is surrounded by a garden of 2 acres (8,100 m).
It is the highest mindrolling monastery in the world. There is also a 103 ft (31 m) high Buddha statue dedicated to the Dalai Lama. Clement Town is a Category II Cantonment, established in 1941.